Focus: Economic Systems
Students use a comparative approach to explore concepts and materials that are frequently neglected in other economics courses. An introductory essay provides background information to the 12 classroom-ready lessons. Students examine and answer:
- What is the economic basis for land ownership and resources?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of central decision-making?
- What is the appropriate scope of, and limits to, competition?
- What is government's role in a market economy?
- How much security should government provide for low-income workers?
- How much inequality in distribution of wealth is acceptable?